In a previous blog, you learned how to create a Word template in Microsoft Dynamics 365
, but what if you want to automatically generate a Word Template through a Workflow without any code? Microsoft Dynamics 365 has the ability to easily generate a Word Template through Actions.
The steps are to create a Word template, create a workflow, and call the SetWordTemplate built in Actions to build a template on the fly. The template is generated and populated as a note on the entity where the workflow was created.
The following example will use Quotes to build a Quote Word Template and attach the template as a note to the appropriate Quote.
How to Create a Microsoft Word Template
1. Navigate to Quotes.
2. Select Excel Templates
from the Command Bar > Create Excel Template.
3. Select Word Template.
4. Select the Quote Entity
and click Select Entity.
5. Select any related entities that you will use to include additional data points. Under 1:N relationship select Quote Products
and click Download Template.
6. In the word document, add the developer tab. If the developer tab is missing, right-click the ribbon and select Customize the Ribbon
and add the Developer tab.
7. From the Developer tab, select the XML Mapping Pane
8. Under Custom XML Part:
, select “urn:Microsoft-crm/document-template/quote/1084/”
9. In the template, you can insert fields by clicking on the location in the template where you want the field inserted. Then in the XML Mapping section, right-click the field, select Insert Content Control
, and select Plain Text
10. For repeating sections (Quote Products for a Quote) you need to insert a repeating section. To insert a repeating section do the following:
Note: When added a repeating section the many records added to the section will add the active AND inactive records to the grid.
- Select the row.
- Right-click Quote_details.
- Select Insert Content Control, and then select Repeating.
11. Save the Word Template.
12. Insert the Word Template as a System Template as the templates that can be selected from a workflow to be used by the entire company must
be a system template.
13. In Dynamics 365 go to Settings
> Document Templates.
14. Select Upload Template
15. Select the Word Template file and click Upload
16. Test the template by opening a Quote. Select the Ellipsis > Word Templates and the select the template uploaded in the previous step.
How to Create the Workflow and Action Step
1. Go to Settings
2. Click New
and provide the following details for the new workflow process:
Important Note: The entity selected in the Workflow must match the entity selected for the template.
- Category = Workflow
- Entity = Quote
3. Update Scope to Organization so the workflow will be run by all users in the system.
4. Click Add Step
and select Perform Action
5. Under Action select SetWordTemplate
and set the Entity to “(None (global))”
6. Select Set Properties
7. Set the Quote Template created above to the “SelectedTemplate” property.
8. Set Target to the entity record you want the template to be attached to.
9. Activate the Process.
10. Update the quote according to the workflow to kick off the workflow.
11. On the Quote record go to Notes
and the newly created Quote Template record will be attached to the Quote as a Note record. The name of the file will be stored as the name of the template.
There you have it! For more Dynamics 365 tips and tricks, be sure to subscribe to our blog
Happy Dynamics 365’ing!