Today’s tip is from Amey “Anything But Code” Holden
. You can drop your priceless tip into our tipping jar
too, thank you very much!
I (Amey, not me – t.j.
) often see users struggle with the confusing behaviour of lookups in model-driven apps. Typical sketch from an average week of consulting with model-driven apps looks like this:
Clicks on the lookup column on a formLookup Column
- Shows nothing
- Shows a bunch of ‘recent records’ (do not get me started on the number of times I have turned this **redacted** (t.j.) feature OFF! (no tip ref but here -> Disable Recent Records from Dynamics 365 Lookup Control | Model-Driven Apps [Quick Tip] | D365 Demystified)
Confused – “there’s nothing there, it’s not working”Expected behaviour
Show me a list of available values to selectActual behaviour
“Start typing – what are you looking for?”User
Types what they are looking forLookup Column
More confused – “there’s still nothing there”Expected behaviour
Filter the list of available values that match what I am typingActual behaviour
“Oh yeah ok now press ‘Enter'”User
“On your keyboard. Return? Pointy Arrow Button? No not the delete one! Ok ok ok click on the search icon. No not that one. Aghhhh!”**the process continues for a while until desired outcome is achieved or one of us gives up**User
“ahaaa found it”Me
“I’m sorry, lookups are confusing, **redacted** (t.j.
) design, don’t worry it’s not your fault, you are still really
smart” etc. etc.How to make this go away
- Go to https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/
- Select the environment you want to update
- Select the Settings cog in the command ribbon
- Expand the Product menu
- Select Behaviour
- Update the Lookup Behaviour to the minimum amount possible for each of the options
- Minimum number of characters to trigger typeahead search: 1
- Delay between character inputs that will trigger a search: 250ms
Rinse and repeat for all your customers and environments – send all thankyou gifts to **redacted personal details for Amey Holden**.
Cover image “Ben to the Rescue” by dafuriousd is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0