AXForum  
Вернуться   AXForum > Microsoft Dynamics NAV > NAV: Blogs
All
Забыли пароль?
Зарегистрироваться Правила Справка Пользователи Сообщения за день Поиск Все разделы прочитаны

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме Опции просмотра
Старый 11.12.2019, 06:15   #1  
Blog bot
Участник

25,448 / 846 (79) +++++++
waldo: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central (OnPrem) Production environment on Docker?
Источник: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/waldo...ment-on-docker
==============
Well .. no! “Not yet”, at least ;-).

Let me be clear:this post is NOT a recommendation that you should use Docker for your OnPremCustomer’s production environments. Notat all. This is merely a blogpost aboutthe fact that I wouldn’t mind Microsoft to officially support Docker as analternative to an NST deployment.

Ifyou don’t care about the “why” below – just upvote here ;-): https://experience.dynamics.com/idea...7-0003ff689ebe

“ContinuousUpgrade”

Just imagine youwould be able to continuously upgrade your customers. This has actually quite an impact on yourdaily life .. on anything that involves a life of a partner: from support tocustomer deployment to hotfixing, to release management, … .

Let me give you afew examples – and I’ll do that with some extreme numbers: either we have 300customers, all on a different versions – or we have 300 customers all on thesame version:

Productreleases

In a way, you needto be able to support all product releases on all versions of Business Central(or NAV) that you have running at your customers – it doesn’t make any sense tosupport a version that isn’t running at any customer, does it ;-)? If a customer is running v13 of your product,you need to be able to hotfix it, and roll out the fixes to one or morecustomers with that same version.

Even more – notonly, you’d have to keep track of all the versions/releases/customers – youneed to manage the hotfixes, and bump it to all versions/releases necessary (ahotfix in v13 might be necessary in 14, 15, .. as well) .

On the other hand –if everyone would be on the same (and thus latest) release: everyone can betreated the same, and hotfixing is easy, rollout is easy, administration iseasy. Simply because there is only oneproduct release to maintain (you start to get why Microsoft is pushing us tothe cloud, right? ;-)).

In order tofacilitate this in Git/DevOps, one way is to create (and maintain)release-branches for all supported releases. On top of this, you have to maintain for all these branches a dedicated branch policy, buildpipeline, artifact feed and what not .. . Good luck doing that for 300 different versions.. .

Support

I think we can allagree that our support department would be so much relieved if they would onlyhave to support 1 version/release, right? All bugfixes/improvements/features/tooling/… are just there.

Bottomline

The easier we areable to upgrade a customer to the next runtime of Business Central.. the morecustomers WILL be on the latest Business Central and version of our product ..the easier it is to manage our product .. The easier it is to support our product.. The easier our life is. It’s a simplefact. No science needed here …

Upgradingan OnPrem customer

You might know myopinion on “code customizing AL” – if not, you can find it in thispost. In a way – for me – “codecustomizing AL is evil” ;-). So ..In that perspective, I’m going to assume we are all on extensions/apps .. andall we have to do is manage apps at customers.

In terms ofupgrading – we would upgrade apps to new version of apps, which is quite easyto do. You can prepare all upgrades inupgrade codeunits, so in a way, when prepped correctly, upgrading is just amatter of installing a new app the right way (by triggering the upgraderoutine). I will not go into how to dothis.

But that’s not all …

We also have toupgrade the platform, the runtime. Notthe client anymore (thank god ;-)), but still all the NST’s and otherbinaries we have installed. At thispoint, it’s still quite manual: “inserting DVD and startclicking”. I know it’s scriptable.. heck, I even created a function once to “easily” upgrade anexisting installation by calling the “repair” option from the DVD(you can find the script here),but honestly, in a world with Docker …

TheDocker Dream

Just imagine – allyou do to install an OnPrem Business Central customer is to install a real SQLServer for the database, and use the docker images provided by Microsoft forthe NST. Why only the NST? Well, that’s the part that needs to beupgradable like every single month.

But when on Docker,you know how easy it is to set up a new environment, right? How easy would it be to upgrade, to set upUAT environments in other versions, to “play” with localizations, ... Well, as easy as we know already byusing Docker – but applying this to a production environment would reallyeliminate the complexity to upgrade continuously.

Honestly, I thinkthis is the missing link to be able to implement full “continuousupgradability” for OnPrem customers.

Wealready do this …

Call me nuts – butfor our internal database, which is completely our own concern, we already havethis running as a proof-of-concept. Andit has been running for so many months without one single problem :-). I shouldn’t say this, but it has been makingupgrading and maintaining this particular environment (with +20 apps) so mucheasier that we are really wondering “why not” for customers. We won’t, obviously, but still … we dream;-).

Vote!

Ifyou agree with me, then you also agree with Tobias Fenster, who has created anidea on the ideas-site which you can upvote – please do! If you don’t understand a single thing aboutDocker or what impact it could be for us – than just take my word for it andstill upvote it here: https://experience.dynamics.com/idea...7-0003ff689ebe

Источник: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/waldo...ment-on-docker